Friday, October 5, 2012

我们生,他们死: Chinese 英雄联盟(League of Legends)



We will live, they will die: 中文 League of Legends(英雄联盟)

So, since I’ve been in China I’ve been trying to play a few Chinese games while I’m here. Sometimes, this involves going to an Internet Café (网吧) and clicking on a game at random, but ever since I’ve been able to use my roommates wicked-fast internet connection (128k! Yo man this is STUPID fast {compared with the 56k I had before}) I decided to download League of Legends. In Chinese.

Partly, this was due to the fact that because League is…you know…on the other side of the globe there’s a bit of lag involved when playing it in China, so I figured, “Hey, if China has league, might as well play it here and get the full experience, right?”

So, if any of you wanted to know, here is what China’s LoL (Yes, it is called that here as well) is like.




The first thing to note is how to log in. GOSH THIS TOOK ME FOREVER.

So basically, everything technology in China is owned by this company called “Tencent”. Imagine if Microsoft, Google, and Apple suddenly decided to join forces and rule the world. This is basically what Tencent is. Therefore, everything online uses a “QQ” account. Everything. So, naturally, I had to get a QQ to start playing LOL in China.


Unlike in the US, you have to choose a server to play on. I chose this one, and have a level 10 character on it. If you switch servers, you go to level 1. Don’t switch servers. Sometimes servers are full. Deal with it. AGH!


So the title screen is a title screen. It has a lot of English, actually, which is helpful. I mean 5v5 is 5v5, whether or not it’s in English or Chinese. Also, notice my name at the top. I currently go under the moniker “FireFox”. Which means Fire-Flying Fox which I picked because it’s English and Chinese and they all begin with the same sound so I LIKE ALLITERATION OKAY??? You often see English letters and Chinese characters combined in the names that people create here. Also, see something else?


Yeah, check it. My wicked cool avatar. See, in China, we don’t have to use stupid symbols and weird objects since we get ACTUAL COOL AVATARS TO USE. A HA HA U Jelly? people who use the mountain surrounded by figures avatars back in the US? We have absolutely ADORABLE Avatars. There are so many:


Oh gosh cuteness overload I just want to kidnap the little Yi one.

On the topic of Yi, he doesn’t actually go by that name here and it is DRIVING ME NUTS.

ALL OF THE NAMES. ALL OF THEM ARE DIFFERENT.

You’re probably thinking, “No duh, you’re in China! Of course the names are going to be different! They’re going to be in Chinese” and if you’re thinking this you’d be WRONG. Well, I mean, you’re partially right, but here’s what I’m getting at.

When Chinese people have to write out American or Western names, the common thing to do is sort of “Translate” their name into Chinese characters that sound about the same. Take for example: “Michael Jackson”.

He’s a pretty famous guy, so his name translated into Chinese is “迈克尔·杰克逊Mai-ke-er Jie-ke-xun

I expected them to do this with the characters in LoL. Which they did. Kinda.


So here’s the page for “Nasus,” probably the best Lane-Gank DPS Tank EVER and a BEAST at 3v3s (In China, I am currently unbeaten at using Nasus for 3v3s I think. My record was 17-0 in a match where we were down a guy.)

So, you see how he has the two names at the top, right? One is 沙漠死神(Sha-mo-si-wang) and the other is 内瑟斯 (Nei-se-si). Pay close attention to where they’re placed.

Compare with the English version:




Can you guess which one is the translation of his name and which is the translation of his title?

Okay, now take a look AGAIN.

Do you see it yet?

That’s right.

They’re REVERSED.

Whenever you play a champion in Chinese LOL, ANY CHAMPION, they are always referred to by their TITLE. Not by their “Name”.

So, whenever I say I play “Nasus”, I have to tell people I play “The Desert Death Spirit” which don’t get me wrong is a lot more FREAKING AWESOME than the wimpy “Curator of the Sands” (seriously?) but it just feels…weird.



So, I sort of have to learn ALL of the champion’s titles, not their names. Which is weird, but it shows how English is wickedly different from Chinese. In English, we have no problem assigning arbitrary values to random collections of sounds. I mean “Nasus”? What does that even MEAN? Amumu? ANIVIA? These things have no MEANING, which causes them to sound…weird in Chinese.

By comparison, the titles of the characters are excellent references in Chinese. Most of them can be boiled down to 4 character phrases.  Which isn’t too shabby, considering how much meaning is packed in there.


In practice, during battles, these titles are often then split into two character phrases. Much like in English, where “Fiddlesticks” becomes “Fiddle” and “Katarina” becomes “Kat”, Fiddlesticks’s name “末日使者”(Judgement Day Bringer)is often just shortened to 末日(Judgement Day) which is pretty freakin’ AWESOME.

The more I think about, the more I like the Chinese approach. Each way of naming characters is different, and I see the value in coming up with unique names based on random sounds that vaguely allude to the champions’ characteristics, but having meaningful titles to refer to the characters is cool too, even if it takes me a while to get used to all of them.

When you play, all the characters voices have been redone in Chinese, so it’s fun to hear the translations of Nasus’s quotes in particular (“死亡是一个严厉的女生。。。” = “Death is a harsh mistress”). The Kill streak announcer does everything in English, which is kind of awkward. Aside from that, it’s all Chinese, down to the item descriptions.



Gameplay in China goes a lot like gameplay in the US. Everyone goes to separate lanes, then someone shouts “谁中?  which quite literally translates into “Who’s mid?”. Then you fight for a while and Mid comes to try to help you but he’s HOPELESSLY underpowered and DIVES in when you are CLEARLY not ready for a fight and dies then yells at you “你没看见吗???” (Didn’t you see me???) and then  you reply “应该小心一点” (You should be a little more careful.) Then the battle starts to turn south and you’re falling back and you make a desperate attempt to regain the lead but you all DIE and the last person standing says “” (Turtle) so you’re all back at base. Then someone calls up a surrender vote and says “” (Vote) and you vote no and then the guys says “你们都是小学生  (You’re all a bunch of schoolchildren) {This is the Chinese way of saying  “Noobs.”} You make one final stand and get a few kills to which someone says “漂亮” (Beautiful) but in the end your core gets destroyed and you face the screen which says “失败” (Loss). Oh well, no time like the present to 再来一个…(play just one more…) You hit the “继续游戏” (continue game) button and queue  up for another round. Maybe you’ll play an AP char this time…


That’s life in the Middle Country. I SWEAR if they make me play Cait as mid ONE MORE TIME just because NO one wants to play Range DPS…

Nathaniel Hahn

7 comments:

  1. This is really awesome and I found the guide super useful, actually, as an azn who is not really azn looking to get more experience with aznness. This post should have like 1000 comments and likes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Yasuo + his title in Chinese. I! MUST! KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 疾风剑豪(ji-feng-jian-hao) Which means he is the master for using sword and he also can use the power from wind.

      Delete
    2. Yasuo is 亚索, and it almost use same way to say that in Chinese server just Yasuo!

      Delete
  3. I gotta favorite this website it seems very helpful .
    free riot points online

    ReplyDelete